Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Terms One Might not be Familiar With

This post is to tabulate terms for those who might be unfamiliar with Malaysian lingo . eg. "Banana"
I will constantly link terms to this page am I go on with my blog.

1. Banana
Used to describe someone of chinese ethnicity but acts like a white person. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Though this term is technically more correct for ABCs (American/Australian Born Chinese) the term is liberally used to describe a chinese who can't speak his mother's tongue.
eg. "That guy is a banana, he looks chinese but he thinks, acts and speaks like a white person"
"BA-NA-NA" followed closely by laughter, the all too familiar routine I have to go through once in a while


2. Laoban
Literally translated as old boss, the title is often used to describe shopkeepers or bosses.
eg. You better not slack or the laoban will beat the socks out of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment